According to you, what is the difference between a boss and a leader?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Becca 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Becca

Hello everyone! I was wondering… according to you, what is the difference between a boss and a leader?

My friend and I enrolled in leadership courses with Schulich Executive Education Centre, starting soon, and we have been having many discussions about what it means to be a leader VS what it means to be a boss.

I was wondering if you wonderful people had any ideas to share on that topic!

Gia

To me, a boss is someone who tells others what to do, while a leader is someone who tells them how to do it, why to do it, and helps them stay motivated until they have reached their goal.

Becca

That’s a nice description! I agree with you.

Lily

I think a leader is someone who is focused about the well-being of everyone in their team. Sure, they want to get things done and to achieve great results, but they also need to care about the way things are being done. They want everyone to do their part and to feel like they’re a part of the team.

When the team achieves success, a leader will congratulate everyone, while a boss on the other hand, will often take credit for what the team has done.

Maddie

Bosses can also be leaders, but not always. Sometimes, they just sit on top and give orders, and then get angry when their employees are not following orders.

I had a very horrible boss at my job, he would just make a fuss about any little thing he didn’t agree with, to the point where most people were afraid of him! Then, 2 years ago, he left to go work somewhere else, and he was replaced by this amazing lady who is a great leader and knows how to motivate her troops. She has quickly gained everyone’s respect, and we are now a lot more happy to go to work because we feel appreciated by our boss.

Angel

That’s great! I think if all bosses were also great leaders, a lot more people would love their job and feel more fulfilled as employees. It doesn’t mean that all bosses are terrible though, but I’d say a lot of them would benefit from leadership courses!

Vivian

What exactly will you learn in your leadership courses?

Becca

We will learn how to develop and maximize our leadership skills, so we can quickly improve our performance as leaders.

I love working with my team towards a common goal, but I think there is always room for improvement and I’m looking forward to becoming a better leader.

Thank you everyone for your answers to my question, it’s very interesting to read what you all have to say!

Sharon

Maybe the biggest difference between a boss and a leader is how they are perceived by their employees. People often seem to say that their boss is impersonal, while their team leader is more friendly and approachable. Leaders are more humble, and they are better at motivating people and helping them develop their strengths.

Bosses are often seen as staying in their offices all day, while leaders are out there working with their employees.

Like somebody mentioned earlier, bosses can also be leaders, and leaders can also be bosses I guess.

Dawson

I think leaders are working a lot harder than bosses in most situations! I hope you learn valuable things in that course you enrolled in.

Becca

Thank you! I’m really looking forward to it, it will be my first time taking leadership courses, but I’m pretty sure it won’t be my last.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.