Recycling mistakes in the workplace

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Vivian 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Lily

In my workplace, there always seems to be some kind of confusion or argument when it comes to recycling. What I would like to know is: what is recyclable and what is not?

Another thing seems to be about stuff that is typically recyclable, but because of one small detail, it should be classified as garbage. Lots of arguments in the office over this!

Let’s say that somebody bought a hamburger from a fast food place. Is the paper used to wrap the hamburger recyclable or not?

Michelle

It’s just paper, right? It should be recyclable.

Nina

Actually, containers that are soaked in food cannot, or should not be recycled. Once they are contaminated by grease, it is virtually garbage. However, they may be disposed as organic waste, if you have that type of recycling bin available.

Zoe

I know what you mean about the arguments. Recycling caused quite the stink (literally) at my office too.

One effective way to reduce the recycling errors in your workplace is to buy (or encourage your bosses to buy) nice looking recycling containers with clear labels on them. The recycling bins over at Waste Wise Products Inc. are a great example of this. They have a lot of recycling containers available, some of which you can use even for interior decorating!

Sharon

Have you noticed people removing labels from bottles and cans? I admit, I was one of them. I have since found out that you don’t need to do that. Apparently, during the thermal recycling process, all of this will be burned off. While it is good to be responsible, there is no need to do this step.

Angel

Oh my god, really? I have been doing this for years!

Sharon

Yup! There seems to be a lot of misconceptions with recycling. It’s like nobody knows what’s right or wrong anymore!

Zoe

If you have any containers that have any liquid in them, make sure to get rid of it first. It could contaminate other materials, especially paper. It can ruin the process and make life harder for those working in recycling plants.

Also, try not to add plastic bags in the recycling. Many people do this. I found out that this causes a problem for those at the recycling plant.

Instead, call your grocery store and see if they can help. Perhaps they may have some kind of recycling program set up to deal with plastic bags.

Gia

In my workplace, coffee cups seem to be a big issue. A lot of people buy coffee in disposable cups. The coffee cups are recyclable. Did you know that the lids are not? Well, it depends, but those nice looking dark lids are usually not recyclable.

Susie

Well, actually, I think they are recyclable…but they shouldn’t be. They usually contain the symbol, but since they are small, sorting and processing it is apparently a problem. That means they may as well go in the garbage.

Vivian

I also remember watching the Toronto news a few months back and they were saying black plastic lids aren’t recycled. Instead, they should be thrown out.

CBC did a whole news coverage about this topic:

Most people don’t know black plastic isn’t recyclable in Toronto

Apparently, sorting equipment can’t locate it. There is also no market for it, which I suspect is the real reason. Who knows?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.