What is the best thing about being a dental hygienist?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dawson 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Dawson

I might be interested in working in a dental office, but I’m still trying to figure out which option would be the best one for me.

I was wondering if anyone could share with me what is the best thing about working as a dental hygienist?

Michelle

I’d say that dental hygienists will always be in high demand, since people will always have teeth. So it’s probably easy to find a job, and I guess the salary must be very good too.

Of course you shouldn’t choose a job just for its salary, but you can’t deny that this is an advantage that can’t be overlooked!

Susie

I like that there’s always an opportunity to learn more, and to climb the ladder if you want to. Sure, the job can be very repetive, but there is always something new to learn!

I’m taking dental hygiene continuing education classes at Genesis Continuing Dental Education, and I find it really interesting.

I like learning, and interacting with my patients every single day, so those are things that I really love about my job!

Dawson

That sounds good! But what do you mean when you say it’s possible to climb the ladder?

Susie

Simply that you can start as a dental hygienist, and then if you want to, you can go back to studying so you can become a dentist. Or some hygienists prefer turning to a career in research, while others are interested in becoming teachers and teach to aspiring dental hygienists.

But of course you can just fall in love with being a dental hygienist, and then if you want, you can turn to continuing education so you can become the best dental hygienist you can possibly be!

Dawson

OK, thank you.

Zoe

I like working with people, so for me, taking good care of my patients is the best part of the job! I have to make sure they’re comfortable, and feeling at ease. I clean their teeth and check to make sure everything is ok, and I can also teach them a few things about proper dental hygiene. Of course there are some patients that are less fun to work with… Some have bad breath, or gum disease, or… well, sometimes it’s gross! But I know I make a positive difference in their life, so at the end of the day I forget all about the gross details, and I just feel proud of myself. Yup, I like my job!

Dawson

That’s amazing! And yeah, I guess it’s not always pleasant… but I’m sure there are unpleasant things about any type of job, right?

Zoe

Exactly! So we just have to deal with it, and try to focus on the positive!

Orlando

One of the things I like the most is that I have a flexible schedule. I work part-time, which is perfect for my situation, but I get to set my own hours most of the time.

Oh, but I also love the dental office where I’m working! Everyone is so friendly, but also very professional. I’ve been working there for 3 years now, and it really is a great place. I feel like I belong there, you know?

Dawson

That sounds great! That’s definitely something I want, to find a work place where I’ll feel like I belong. Some of my friends are working with horrible coworkers, and get no respect from their bosses.

I don’t want to have to deal with something like this. I want to find a great place, and be part of a team of amazing people who love their work!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.